In the comments on my last post, Nicole asked about my defense story. This is my lack-of-defense story. We didn’t have one. It was all a little anticlimactic (especially compared with exams–3 days written, a 3 hour oral, sent out of the room and then called back in to hear the outcome.)

English doesn’t have one and one other department, I think history, doesn’t have one. I don’t know if I wish we did or not. This was decidedly anti-climactic. Over a month ago, my committee chair signed me off. About a week later, my second committee member signed me off. Then I waited. And waited. I filled out all the paperwork for the university, electronically sent in a dissertation copy for format approval, did the surveys, and waited. And I got an email from the graduate administrative person as the professor’s deadline approached that it was really a soft deadline and it wouldn’t be met. So I had everything sitting on my table ready to go as I waited. Finally, on Tuesday about 5:15 with Friday the final deadline for posting Fall 2010, I received an email from the graduate administrator saying that I had the final signature. It was too late to take all the paperwork over, so I told Computerguy, but waited to tell anyone else until everything was official. The next day I went to campus. Thanks to construction on the freeway, I was a couple minutes too late to catch the administrator before the big holiday 2-hour lunch. So I went shopping, had lunch, basically killed time until I could go back over there. I picked up the signature form and walked my paperwork over to the graduate division where they went over it and printed a “certificate of completion” while I waited. (The diploma will be ready in 5 months or so.) They congratulated me and I walked out, sat down on a chair in the lobby, tried to absorb that this had finally happened, and then started texting, emailing, calling, and facebooking. And I think that started making it real.

As far as my name goes (and yes, I know it can be seen in the picture), I let inertia win. I never took the time to change it at the university. I’m kind of annoyed and kind of okay with that. Most of the reasons I chose what I did when I got married still apply. And I still really like that I have the initials I’ve always had. If it bothers me that the Dr. goes with my husband’s family name, it also goes with my children’s name and I need to just get over myself.

So that’s my story. It’s a little low-key, but I will be walking in June and I will be hooded by my committee chair and I will have a party then. Meanwhile, I’ll have some quiet celebrations and just enjoy having done this thing.

Edited to correct my weekdays.

This entry was posted in Graduate School. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to anticlimactic

  1. Nicole says:

    Thanks for telling the anti-climatic story! That explains how it happened so quickly. I thought wow, the red tape must be shorter and less sticky than at Purdue! I hope you bought something lovely for yourself as you killed time shopping! Congrats once again!

  2. Terri says:

    awesome, congratulations!

  3. Sue says:

    Abundant congratulations to you! And thank you for your kind comment over at my place. Much appreciated.

Thoughts, Questions, Comments?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s